Corn Fritters; Mixed Greens Salad with Candied Walnuts & Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
Active Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 6 servings
|Fritters||Corn kernels||2.2 lbs / 1 kg|
|Fritters||Eggs, beaten||2 eggs|
|Fritters||Cheddar cheese, grated||2 oz / 57 g|
|Fritters||Flour||4 oz / 113 g|
|Fritters||Sugar||2 oz / 57 g|
|Fritters||Vegetable oil||8 fl oz / 240 mL|
|Candied Walnuts||Walnuts||2 cups / 6 oz|
|Candied Walnuts||Maple syrup||0.5 cup|
|Candied Walnuts||Unsalted butter||1 tbsp|
|Candied Walnuts||Nutmeg||0.5 tsp|
|Candied Walnuts||Cinnamon||0.5 tsp|
|Salad||Mixed greens||3 cups|
|Salad||Dried sweetened sour cherries||0.5 cup|
|Salad||Sherry vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Salad||Olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Salad||Dried mustard||0.5 tsp|
|Salad||Shallots, diced||1 tbsp|
|Salad||Ground pepper||To taste|
- Medium sauté pan
- Small mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Slotted spatula
- Candy the walnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Melt the butter in the medium sauté pan.
- Add the maple syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon to the sauté pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the walnuts and coat thoroughly with maple syrup.
- Cook until sauce is foamy, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer walnuts (with sauce) to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 10 mintes.
- Transfer parchment paper to a wire cooling rack and let walnuts cool
- Prepare the fritter batter:
- Combine the eggs, corn, and cheese in the small mixing bowl.
- Combine the flour and sugar in the medium mixing bowl and make a small divet in the center.
- Add the corn mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just smooth
- Make the fritters:
- Add the vegetable oil to the sauté pan to about 0.5 inches depth and heat to 365° F.
- Ladle fritter batter (2 tbsp) into the oil, frying on each side until golden brown.
- Remove fritters from the oil and blot off any excess with paper towels
- Make the vinaigrette:
- Combine the sherry vinegar, dry mustard, and shallots in the small mixing bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Make the salad:
- Add the mixed greens, gorgonzola, cherries, candied walnuts, and vinaigrette in a mixing bowl and toss to combine
Written by chris on Apr 6 2019, 10:03 PM.
NOT A ROBOT